Sunday, September 4, 2016

"Fudge brownies"

If someone told me that one day I'd be eating the seeds that grew on my chia pet as a kid, I would have laughed my ass off. Seriously? And then it happened. As I was researching high fiber/low carb foods, low and behold, the mighty (yet tiny) chia seed. Once I managed to get the chia pet song out of my head, I've found some pretty amazing uses for these little guys. 

One thing I mourned the most when trying to cut sugar out of my diet was, well, sugar. Mainly all of the amazing desserts containing lots and lots of sugar. Like brownies. So I had to figure something to tame my sweet tooth. Most of the brownie recipes I found online were jokes. And by joke I mean I might as well have been eating sawdust. Admittedly, this still doesn't taste like the brownies of fat days past, but they do satisfy my sweet craving, and have that added fiber from the ch-ch-ch-chia seeds. Serve with a glass of unsweetened Vanilla Almond milk and it's almost like being a kid again. A very healthy kid.




Ingredients:

Brownie
  • 1 Lily's Dark Chocolate bar (sweetened with stevia. This chocolate is incredible!)
  • 8 Tbsp European style butter
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 1 c almond flour
  • 1/2 c unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1.5 tsp cinnamon
  • 1.5 tsp baking soda
  • 3/4 c powdered stevia
  • 1 tsp liquid stevia
  • 3 large eggs
  • 1/4 c black chia seeds
'Frosting'
  • 1/2 Lily's Dark Chocolate bar (the other half makes a great treat while you're making this dessert. Just saying)
  • 2 Tbsp European style butter
  • 1/4 c heavy cream
  • 1/2 tsp liquid stevia

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8x8 baking pan (I used butter, because why not).

Melt chocolate, butter, vanilla in a double boiler or microwave. Just make sure you don't burn the chocolate or the brownies will taste like burnt chocolate.

Mix almond flour, cocoa powder, cinnamon, and baking soda in small bowl. Set aside.

In larger bowl, beat eggs, powdered stevia, liquid stevia, and chia seeds until well blended. Add chocolate mixture. Slowly beat in dry ingredients. Mixture will be thick.

Pour into pan and bake for 20-25 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.

As brownies are cooling, bring heavy cream to a simmer. Remove from heat and add chocolate, butter, and liquid stevia. Stir until melted. Try not to just straight drink the chocolate sauce because it's pretty incredible. Instead, pour over brownies. Place in fridge to harden sauce. Or not, gooey, messy brownies are just as tasty.

MyFitnessPal had the following, but it really depends on how big that one serving of brownie is you just cut. :) This is based on making 12 brownies
Calories: 262
Carbs: 17g (most of this is from the chia seeds and you need to be concentrating on net carbs)
Fat: 23g
Fiber: 9.5g
Sugar: 2g <--- right?! And still yummy!
Protein: 5g


No comments:

Post a Comment