Sunday, September 4, 2016

Cheeseburger casserole

The thought of subbing cauliflower for potatoes sounds terrible to me. Cauliflower is not a potato, no matter how many people want it to be. Unfortunately, potatoes are high in carbs, so I had to figure out a way to make cauliflower taste good. Notice I said "taste good", not "taste like potato". Fortunately, I think I've figured it out here. To be honest, I usually modify even my own recipes to taste depending on my mood, so measurements are more of a suggestion. This turned out so amazing, I had to stop myself from getting seconds!



Ingredients:

  • 1 head cauliflower, cut into small florets
  • 1 lb. 80% lean ground beef
  • 1 yellow onion, minced
  • 1.5 tsp paprika
  • 1.5 tsp cayenne powder
  • 2 tsp Tony Chachere's (this stuff really is great on everything)
  • 1 tbsp garlic powder
  • 1/2 pkg 1/3 fat cream cheese
  • 1.5 cup heavy cream
  • 3 cups cheddar cheese
Heat oven to 350 degrees. Place cauliflower in boiling, salted water. Cook for 5-6 min until slightly transparent/soft. Don't overcook. No one wants to eat mushy cauliflower. Drain and pat dry.

Sauté meat, onion, paprika, cayenne, Tony's, and garlic powder until meat is browned. Drain meat, mix with cauliflower, and place in casserole dish.

In a small saucepan, bring cream to a simmer. Add cream cheese (this melts better if you cut it up into small cubes) and stir for a few minutes until melted. Add 1.5 cups of cheddar, stirring until melted.

Pour cheese sauce over meat/cauliflower. Sprinkle remaining cheese over dish, and bake for 15 minutes, uncovered. I'm a sucker for toasty browned cheese, so after it has cooked, I flip on the broiler and broil until cheese is browned.

MyFitnessPal app has the following nutritional info. But if this will vary depending on the brands of ingredients you use. If this diet has taught me anything, it has been READ EVERY LABEL. 
Calories: 541
Carbs: 7.4g
Fat: 44.8g
Protein: 25.5g
Fiber: 0.9g
Sugar: 0.5g



No comments:

Post a Comment